Monday, October 22, 2007

:: Lo-Lives ::

Its like RZA says in Cant it be Simple, "remember '87? That was my favorite shit...that Polo shit?"...

'87 was a bit before my time but it was around 1993 when Vaz, Maestro and myself started getting into Lo. Lo was short for Polo and was basically a subculture that developed from the mid-late 80s to roughly mid-late 90s. Kids both poor or rich built up a collection or rare polo pieces either by trading them for other pieces, stealing or just buying. This was our way of expression, of feeling part of a movement, showing up other kids who had no clue what was going on outside their block. It was our modern day ballin.. Seems like the biggest presence was in Brooklyn, and where the term Lo-Life became prevalent. Thus the Nom de Plume, Dee-Lo that some of you know me as. They were club kids or hip-hop heads but all knew each other or robbed each other. I was lucky enough to never meet that fate but others werent so lucky. Granted we were young, but learned the game quickly. I even learned the ropes of my current job through this process of trading pieces for other pieces i thought i could replace cheaper. It was a hustlers mentality and fuck it was fun.. The good ole days..

Check out the pics below.. peace to Rebel and Scram for a few of them.

























































1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh shit...I even had the Star Wars sheets on the bed. Straight classic material, my dude.